Sunday, November 9, 2008

Of Mice and Men Photos and Response for Chapter 1

Chapter 1




Picture of John Steinbeck, acclaimed writer and author of Of Mice and Men.




My interpretation of Lennie Small (not drawn by me). I chose this picture because it seemed to outline the characteristics of Lennie, pale eyes and a shapeless face.


My interpretation of George Milton. I chose Tom Cruise because he illustrates George's qualities; strong features and restless eyes.

Soledad

Response to first chapter:

Prior to reading Of Mice and Men, I was unsure of Steinbeck's potential as a writer, and the techniques that he used. However, upon reading the first three pages of the first chapter, I quickly gained some understanding concerning this. Steinbeck is someone that I like to call a "imagery magician". The vivid images that the reader receives during this excellent read are completely stunning. For one and a half pages this wonderful author is able to draw me in by describing the setting of the story in sheer detail. Steinbeck truly is an author of great prowess and talent. Also, the conflict, themes, and plot of the book are incredibly daring, and keeps me turning pages with great haste in an effort to learn what happens next.





No comments: